Our History


Home > Our Story >
.
Our History
.

A Brief History Of The Ottawa Seventh-day Adventist Church 

The Ottawa Seventh-day Adventist Church, which is located in the nation’s capital, saw its beginning in 1892, through the evangelistic work of Evangelists R.S. Owen and R.A Underwood. In 1894, J.B. Goodrich held other evangelistic meetings and in 1898 the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists sent J. Coeurdelis, Professor A.J Bristol, and a sanitarium nurse to Ottawa. An Adventist church was first officially organized in Ottawa when Elder F.D Starr, newly elected as President of the Ontario Conference, visited with believers in the capital. Five persons were baptized, Elder Starr later wrote “and the company takes fresh courage to advance and hold up light.”
 
For a while, the light seemed to flicker as the Ottawa church fell on hard times, dwindling at one point to a handful of members. It was reorganized, however, on January 7, 1906, and Elder O.F Butcher became the pastor until August 1907. From about 1913, the church functioned under the leadership of W.J. Hurdon, under whose leadership many souls were won. It was under his leadership also that work on the first Adventist church building in Ottawa began.
 
In 1919, the young and vibrant H.M.S Richards Sr., who was fresh out of college, arrived in Ottawa to be the church’s new pastor. The new pastor kept the fire burning through the work of evangelism in spite of the sub-zero weather conditions. He, along with Elder Wilfred Belleau, later pitched a tent and began meeting at a corner lot half a mile from the centre of town. The lot was cluttered with billboards, but Pastor Richards and Elder Belleau used this to their advantage by advertising that the meetings would take place “behind the billboards.” The meetings resulted in many baptisms and the church experienced a new infusion of hope and enthusiasm.
 
The church was again revitalized in the 1970’s through the “It Is Written” Revelation Seminars held at the historic Chateau Laurier hotel, and conducted by the illustrious George E. Vandemann and the formidable George Knowles.
 
In 1974, a new church building was constructed at the current location, 2200 Benjamin Avenue. Prior to this, the church was located on Spencer Street, having previously moved from Fifth Avenue where the first building that housed the Ottawa Church was located.
 
The ministry of the Ottawa Adventist Church has seen the birth of numerous other congregations such as The Ottawa East Church, The Orleans Church, The Nepean Church, The Ottawa Spanish Church, and The Ottawa French Church. The Church at Benjamin Avenue continues to grow and enlarged its facilities in 2005 so as to accommodate its growing membership and its ministry to the community - “Hitherto hath the Lord helped us”
(1 Samuel 7:12).